Friday, August 16, 2013

...On Being Thankful

This morning, I read this in my Bible:

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
- Colossians 2:6-7 (ESV) -

Funnily, at school assembly this morning, these verses were also mentioned, which made me think 'Hmmm...maybe God's trying to say something'.

As mentioned in my previous post, transitioning back into life in Nepal isn't the easiest thing at the moment. Usually, when I'm faced with struggles, I find it easy to complain and whinge about what's happening...but the ending of those verses really caught my attention, and so, instead of whining, I'm going to 'abound in thanksgiving'.

At a Nepali school that I visited today
Right at this moment, here are a few of the things that I'm thankful for:
  • A wonderful place to work - KISC truly is an amazing school. The leadership are wise and desire for the school to be a place where Christ is made known. The staff are humble and have massive servant hearts. The students work hard and are loving and kind. I'm privileged to be able to spend my days with these people.
  • The opportunity to be more involved in Nepali schools through KISC EQUIP - Today, I visited a few schools in Kathmandu and was greatly encouraged by the teachers and their desire to offer quality education in their schools. I'm thankful that I get to partner with these teachers to see education transformed in Nepal.
  • A fantastic place to live - I love the homeyness of my apartment...especially my couch!
  • My bicycle - I'm glad that I can get places quickly without having to step in the mud and puddles that are on the roads at the moment because of the monsoon
  • The internet - I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to communicate with my family and friends back home (or if I could no longer use 'google')
  • People who support me prayerfully and financially - I'm continually humbled by my friends' (and church's) generous giving and commitment to bringing me before God in prayer. I know that I wouldn't be here without them.

...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. 
- Philippians 4:8-9 (ESV) -

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Web Hosting Deals