Monday, September 6, 2010

Kathmandu - My New Home










It's quite late at night but I can hear the animals in the zoo nearby going nuts! There are elephants, lions, monkeys and a random dog barking. Welcome to Kathmandu!

I was sitting in the middle section of the plane totally engrossed in a movie I was watching when we landed in my new home, so I didn't even catch a glimpse of Kathmandu as we were approaching.

The airport was pretty average (what you'd expect from an airport in a developing country) and a little chaotic, but I found my way alright, picked up my bag without any hassles, and was met by someone from KISC (Kathmandu International Study Centre) - the school I'm teaching at.

I was then brought to the KISC guesthouse where almost all new teachers stay when they first arrive, and after settling in a bit, was taken out by a few of the other teachers to the shops to buy a few things. The rest of my first day was spent unpacking and just chilling out.

Today (my 2nd day here), I went to the International Church in the morning, out to lunch with some of the other teachers, and then Esther (another teacher who just arrived the other day) and I went to Patan Square with Antonia (a teacher from Australia!). It was really cool to go out and explore a little bit and be more exposed tothe craziness of the streets!

This week I'll start a bit of KISC orientation but it'll be pretty relaxed I think. The following week (13 Sept) I'll start my language and Nepal orientation program (LOP) which, looking at the schedule, will be full on!

Thanks to those of you who have been praying for me! I'm feeling really excited to be here and know that the peace I have is totally because I'm where God wants me to be.

Looking forward to the adventures ahead! xoxo




4 comments:

Tim said...

glad to hear you're settling.
how big is the international church, just out of curiosity? i guess its all in english?

Sandra Oh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Oh said...

Hey Tim! The church had about 70-100 people...mostly missionaries but some expats aswell. Yup...all in English. There are also a few other international churches around that I'll probably check out in the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

haha! I love how you were so engrossed in the movie you didn't look out the window to see what was outside.
good one!

The weather looks pretty good according to your pics :)
keep posting!

We're having steamboat @ cell this week.
Dw I'll eat HEAPS on behalf of you too.


Tonga

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Web Hosting Deals